Friday, January 20, 2012

When I rest in Sabbath..

I’ve been reading a chapter regarding Sabbath. I’ve taken my time to think and meditate. There is more to Sabbath than it being a day we rest and go church. 


Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy, as the Lord your God has commanded you. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a day of Sabbath to the Lord your God
-Exodus 20:8-9-

This special day God had made it SPECIALLY for us. KHAS UNTUK ANAKNYA. God knows that all of us need more than one “special day” in our lives, so He established the idea of cyclical special day called the Sabbath. 

Last week, I’ve been running and about for traffic jams, briefings, going to campus and working at home. Till the 6th day (Saturday), I found myself looking forward to Sabbath. I was looking for a change of pace in life. The busyness that I got myself into had made me physically and mentally tired and spiritually drained. When Sabbath came, I could feel myself refreshed. Like a new spring of water poured into my life.

Another is God want us to know that He is in control of all things. There are so many things that happened in our life which I want to take control of. When God says, “Shabbat! (Sabbath)” He is saying “Stop and remember that I am God and you are not.”

God is calling us to do something different from our six days of life and to set aside a holy day for Him. It is good to work and be productive throughout the week. And, it is also good to STOP and do something different. Drawing, singing and anything you enjoy. 

When I remove myself from my normal attachments, I open my inner life that is in CHAOS. Here, I release any chaotic attitude (selfishness, greed, jealousy, etc) and just to ask for His assurance that I will be okay when I let go.


Listen to your voice as you say this out loud

The Lord said [to Elijah], “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.” Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.
-1 Kings 19:11-12-

God speaks with a GENTLE VOICE, and not a LOUD thundering one. 

Henri Nouwen wrote, “To bring some solitude into our lives is one of the most necessary but also the most difficult disciplines……As soon as we are alone, without people to talk with, books to read, TV to watch, or phone calls to make, an inner chaos opens up to us.”

Just for laugh. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment