Thursday, September 20, 2012

The climax story of the STRONG MAN

Samson was king over Israel after his victory over the Philistines (http://carolleeweijun.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-arrogance-of-strong-man_10.html )

Won't you want to know more about his life?

His most well-known part of his life: Samson and Delilah

This is taken from the imprints of Judges 16:1 - 16:31.

At the start of the chapter, Samson again did wrong in the eyes of God. He went to Gaza ( Philistine town), and saw a prostitute and spend a night with her. The Philistines wanted to kill him at dawn but remember Samson was a strong man. I think the men would have been terrified when Samson had carried the city gate of Gaza to the top of the hill facing Hebron. (Could you imagine seeing a man carrying the city gates together with the two posts? The city gate is not a small gate. I am sure if I were one of the Philistine I would have run  for my life

He fell in love with a woman in the Valley of Sorek named Delilah. When the rulers of Philistine heard this, they went to her and asked her to find the secrets of his strength. In return, she'll be rewarded with eleven hundred shekels of silver from each ruler. At that time, Philistine was ruled by five rulers. Each ruler ruled from a different city - Ashdod, Ashkelon, Ekron, Gath and Gaza. From five rulers, that would be 550 shekels of silvers - now that's a lot of money.
   
Because of greed, Delilah was driven to discover the strength of Samson.


Attempts to make Samson weak as any other men:
- tying him with seven fresh thongs that have not been dried
- tying him securely with new ropes that have never been used
- weaving his seven braids of his head into fabric on the loom and tighten it with the pin

Everytime when Delilah had done the one of the above accordingly, she'll shout "Samson, the Philistines are upon you!" Samson will break free easily! The Philistines were hiding in the room. 

Samson eyes were disillussioned. He loves her till he could not see the true colours of Delilah. We might be thinking why could he not see that the woman's true colours? Because he is really blinded by LOVE. He chose not to see that side of her and he chose to believe in her lies. 

Delilah was a deceitful woman with honey on her lips and poison in her heart. She toyed with Samson, pretending to love him while looking at personal gain. 

Delilah then was very upset because her 'lover' lied to her. She nagged him day and night. It is imprinted 'he was tired to DEATH' - Could you imagine how persistent she was. 

This was eventually the SECOND time Samson allowed himself to be worn down by persistent nagging. The first time happened between him and his wife. Remember things didn't turn out as well as it should.

Same here! Samson told her everything. Look at verse 17 - he told her everything. "No razor has ever been used on my head,"because I have been Nazirite set apart to God since birth. If my head were shaved, my strength would leave me, and I would become weak as any other man. 

Delilah did as she was told. She called the Philistine to shave off his hair! The strength left him! The LORD had left him!

Samson was then captured and the Philistine revenged and gouged his eyes out! The Philistine then set him to grinding in the prison in Gaza (ironically, this was the place where Samson had uprooted the city gates). Samson was a weak man.

The rulers of Philistines celebrated on the victory of capturing Samson. They offered sacrifices to their god, Dagon. They praised their god. Dagon was the cheif god of the Philistines, the god of grains and harvest. Also, in the temple, there was the place where they torture and humiliate their prisoners.

Samson was brought out of prison to entertain the people.

Here comes the CLIMAX! Let's read the IMPRINTs of Judges! :D


25 While they were in high spirits, they shouted, "Bring out Samson to entertain us." So they called Samson out of the prison, and he performed for them.When they stood him among the pillars,26 Samson said to the servant who held his hand, "Put me where I can feel the pillars that support the temple, so that I may lean against them."27 Now the temple was crowded with men and women; all the rulers of the Philistines were there, and on the roof were about three thousand men and women watching Samson perform.28 Then Samson prayed to the Lord, "Sovereign Lord, remember me. Please, God, strengthen me just once more, and let me with one blow get revenge on the Philistines for my two eyes."29 Then Samson reached toward the two central pillars on which the temple stood. Bracing himself against them, his right hand on the one and his left hand on the other,30 Samson said, "Let me die with the Philistines!" Then he pushed with all his might, and down came the temple on the rulers and all the people in it. Thus he killed many more when he died than while he lived. 

Samson prayed. Samson knew he had done wrongs in the eyes of the Lord. In spite of his past, his failures, his disobedience, God still LOVED him. God was willing to hear the prayer of Samson of confession and repentance and use him for the FINAL time.

Samson life could seem like a MESSED UP from the beginning of his 'independance' (when he could make his own decision). He disobeyed God and do things that he desired without considering the consequences. If I may say this, no one wants to BE LIKE HIM! I, myself would not want to be like Samson.

Looking back, I was once like Samson. I lived my life to how I see fit. At that point of time, I was MESSED UP yet I still have not idea. I shut my ears away and did not want to hear. Just like Samson, God had to allow things to happen in my life. I reached my DEAD END, and the only way out is the way UP. Honestly, the guilt feelings was there. Guilt had stopped me to pray! It kept me away from Him. But, the only way out for me was UP! So, I prayed. Lo and behold, He guided me out of my dead end and gave me new beginnings. 

One of the effect of SIN in our lives is to keep us from praying. Perfect moral behavior is NOT a condition to pray. Don't allow your guilt feelings keep you away from your only way of restoration. 

No matter how long you have been away from God, he is ready to HEAR from you and RESTORE you to a right relationship. 

Every situation can be salvaged if you are willing to turn again to Him.  If God could still work in Samson's situation, he can certainly make something worthwhile out of yours. 

(NIV Life Application Study Bible)

Would you have the courage to go on your knees and confess to Him today?

No comments:

Post a Comment