Friday, November 16, 2012

Brownish black and wet



I started off my month of Nov doing the lowliest social work of all – cleaning place full of shit. No one would think in their right mind that this is their dream job. I remembered this show on National Geographic that talks about the dirtiest jobs. It showed jobs from cleaning sewage to cleaning the rubbish and etc. I remembered few responses I heard about the show: what if my kids grow up and want to do something like that? What if? It seems like the most horrible job that your child might be doing in the future in the eyes of a parent. I had the opportunity first hand doing the WORST job as the world views it.

No one wants to be NEAR shit!

No one wants to TOUCH shit!

No one wants a job that TOUCH shit!

No one wants to be DIRTY!

When my hands and feet dipped in shit, I remembered telling myself that I need to just CLEAN this. Don’t think about where it came from. Don’t think of what it really comprises of. I just need to DO this and CLEAN this. So, I did. I actually could stand the smell of it. One reason is not fresh! The other is I was exposed to shit before this! – bat poop, cat poop, dog poop, fish poop, baby poop. Now, adding to the list is human ranges from child to adult’s poop. Even when I told my parents about my experience, I remembered their first response was like ‘What? Again?’ They agreed it’s a disgusting job but someone needs to DO it.

Because of this, we found out Indah Water had not been servicing the area for quite some time because they said it’s not their responsibility to clean the sewage system this area. MPK also had their hands off this case. Nobody wants to be involved. They are pushing the responsibility away from themselves. Imagine how many years of poop not being flushed out. Because of  this, one of the resident brought it up to Putrajaya and fought for this. The result, finally Indah Water came and pump the years of poop out!

All this poop experiences also got me thinking of how it relate to our society today. There’s so many unsatisfying issues happening in our country till the extent sometimes I feel helpless. The system is corrupted. There’s injustice in our country. When I look at the political state, it’s just heartbreaking. Nobody wants to be involved. Nobody wants to get their hands dirty. Nobody wants to stand for what is right. So, like the poop experiences. If all of us are just going to take the backseats and not advocate or be a voice, we are all like the poop that’s underground that no one will hear or care about. Underground unforeseen materials cannot be contain for a long time. One day, everything will blow out! Then, people will start pushing their responsibility away. Some people would be the ones that have to clean it up.

If we all recognizes our rights as a Malaysian citizen and make this country our own, then we will be willingly put our hands in shit, dirt, undesirable situation to stand for the people of this nation!

No comments:

Post a Comment