Monday, December 5, 2011

What is in a NAME?

Hi, I'm A. What's your name? :)

All of us have an identity through our names. That is how we first introduce ourselves to new people that we meet. Our names were given by our parents. Many parents have hope that one day we would live up to our names. They choose great names that we may live in the future to the meaning of our name. That's our parents hope for us.

A name is more than a label. More than just a title. But is something we can call our own; the treasures our parents had left for us to live by. A name tells more than just a statement but an interesting story of life.

In Biblical times, a man and his name were so intimately related that 'to cut off the name' of an individual amounted to the same thing as killing him. A name was often taken as a wish for or prophecy about the child's future.

For example, Solomon means peace. He was the first KING of Israel to reign without having to go to war. When I remember Solomon, his name was more than peace. He made a difference! He was the first to set the record of being KING without war involved.

My name is Caroline, which means womanly, given by my grandma. Sometimes, many friends of mine called me Carol, which means joy. My parents gave a beautiful Chinese name; Wei Jun. Wei means 'en hui': grace. Jun means king. My grandma and parents gave me the most priceless give: my name.

To live out my name is something I am practicing out everyday. It's definitely not easy. But, with His grace I pray I can do so. I don't want to leave behind a name without a story. I want to live out my name with an interesting story in it.  


Do you know what's the meaning behind your name? Are we living up to it?

3 comments:

  1. Me likey this post! But my name came from a genie in a movie.. Hahaa.. And *poof* I'm gone~ =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. O gracious king. Where art thy blessings for thy servant here? Live up to thy name o gracious king.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeannie: Thank you!! :D you sure your name came from genie the movie? hehe.. then you must grant a lot of people around you with 3 wishes. :D haha

    Jian: haha..be faithful in small things. I have blessed thee yesterday. :D haha.. :)

    ReplyDelete