Monday, August 6, 2012

From the eyes of a parent

Once upon a time, there was a family that is wealthy. Then, one day the youngest son told the father, 'Split my half of inheritance and give it to me'. The father agreed and gave him his half of the inheritance. So, the son took the money and spend it as he wish. He was living a WILD life. At that time, he had lots of friends around him. But, as soon as he spent all that he had, his friends too disappeared along with him.

He was money-less and hungry. He went to search for a job and a countryman hired him. The countryman sent him out to his fields to feed the pigs. *Can you imagine a Jew in the midst of the pigs?* He was so hungry that he eat what the pigs were eating.

He came to his senses, 'Hey, my father's servant gets better treatment than I do and I am here starving to my death'. So, he decided to go home and ask for his father's forgiveness. He played the apologize that he wants to tell his father over and over in his head : Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.

While he was nearing to the house of his father, he was still reciting what he wants to say to his father. His father saw him from afar (your parents will recognize you even if you don't look like yourself, how so? Through your gestures and the way you walk), he ran and threw his arms around him and kissed him (only your parents will do this when you are dirty).

The youngest son said, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.' But, the father quickly called his servants to bring the BEST robe, put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the FATTENED calf and killed it! Let's have a FEAST and CELEBRATE!
Luke 15: 11-24

This story may ring a bell to many of us. I have a story of my own that is almost similar to the experience of the lost son.

When I was young and wild, I have my own principles that I hold onto. I never put the importance of my family as one of my principles. I went on to do things-I-feel-it-is-right. I dated a guy and hid it away from my parents. My parents eventually found out about the relationship. Many times, they talked to me and told me to break off that relationship.

Because of my rebellious attitudes, I never take to account to what it is said by them. Something had happened between the guy and me, we broke off. Instead of facing the music which I thought my parents would give, they received me back as their daughter who had strayed away. They were overjoyed and comforted me. I never thought my parents would celebrate that day with compassion, love and joy.

Just like the lost son, I also recited many times in my head what should I say to them. How should I ask for forgiveness. My parents forgave me long before and was waiting for that ONE SPECIAL DAY that I'll turn back to them.

That day came eventually.

My parents were happy and grateful that the LORD had brought me back into their arms.

Like the father of the lost son, he waited for that SPECIAL day. My parents waited!

All the waiting is worth it in the end of the day. I am grateful my parents waited patiently and prayerfully.


Nothing is more precious than a child that runs back to the arms of her parents. 
Our Father in Heaven also wait patiently for that 
One Special Day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment