Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Breaking the society state of mind



One day, I was just sitting outside my parents' shop and just observing different ones that walked up and down the lane. My eyes caught sight of these two persons - aged lady on a wheelchair and man in his 40s pushing her. They looked like mother and son. They came up to the curb and had difficulties of getting over the curb. The auntie could stand and move her legs but it was painful. It seems like she got gout on her feet. She is also very big in size which didn't help her much.

Then, auntie decided to stand and try to get over the curb. The man could barely hold her to get over and trying to put the wheelchair as well to the other side. So, I decided to break the norm (Norm is Chinese would usually stand by and see from aside rather to get their hands dirty - this is what I observed so far). I went near them and asked whether they needed help.

They nodded graciously. I held the auntie's arm and got her over. She kept saying thank you. Then, after that the next challenge came that is to get into the clinic. There's a level of step to get into the clinic. The man and I tried to lift the wheelchair and her on it to get into the clinic, however we failed. We made the auntie fell out from her chair. I got hold of her arm. And a man standing by also decided to come and lend a hand. So, the auntie stood on her feet and with all her might took the step into the clinic. It was difficult for her but thankfully she made it successfully and safely into the clinic. I remember her face. She looked up to the man and I and said thank you. Her son was also grateful that we came and helped.

I guess sometimes breaking the norm of the society also helped changed people's mindset. Though they may not expressed it in words that they had changed the mindset about certain norm in the society, but at least I did my part to stand out to be different.

Changing the world is everyone's dream, but how many are willing to get your hands dirty?

Christ had first show us how much He love us. Would we not also reciprocate that kind of love He had?
He said in His words:


Matthew 25:35-36, 40

For I was hungry and you gave me somthing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.... 
Truly I tell you, whatever you did for me of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did it for me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment