Sunday, January 20, 2013

a BETTER of anything.

Often times, when it is the new year, someone's birthday, a person who had just changed job, when you are in a mess, there is one thing we always hope for.

A BETTER __________________________________. 


We desired for a better life, better nation, better working environment, sometimes better friends, better family, better boyfriend/girlfriend, or dare I even say it? A better spouse.

'Better' here is described as a verb. To improve - amend - mend - reform.

To be a better, there's a price to pay. It's not merely just uttering it out with words. The words need to be put into actions. To be a better athlete, there's a need to train. To be a person who watches the language, there's a need to be conscious and to train to hold your tongue when you are about to curse. To be a better boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse, there's a need to learn to be sensitive to the feelings of your closed ones. There's a need to learn to be sensible.
When I was in my University years, I wanted to be a person who have a stronger stamina - a better person at playing sports. I first realized I have a need to do so, when I was playing futsal with my churchmates, only to realize I couldn't keep up with the other players. So, I trained. I woke up earlier, before class, to run few rounds in the court. After class, I ran again in the stadium. Honestly, the first few attempts, I just want to give up and move on with life that I am no good at sports anymore. But, that desire to be better, pushed me to continue my routine. After few weeks, it was not so hard anymore. After a couple of weeks more, I eventually could keep up with the other players when we played futsal. It was a great achievement.

Let's switch our mind to our nation now. We want a BETTER nation. A BETTER MALAYSIA, where peace and harmony roams. But, most of us are being bench warmers. We wait to see a BETTER nation. Friends  it doesn't work that way. If it does, our nation should have already be BETTER. It takes courageous men and women, who would stand and speak for the voiceless. It takes men and women, who are willing to lay aside their pride, ego and self goals. It takes you and me, who are willing to step up and say this is our nation, we are placed here for such a time like this. Wake up, Malaysia need you! (although how cliché it may seems).

My friends stood up for a young girl who were tormented by a group of teenage boys. They were surrounding the poor girl. My friends were in the car, and it was difficult to go down to stop the boys, as there was 15 of them. So, they start making a commotion by pressing the horn of the car. Eventually, the teenage boys left. They walked away laughing and feeling proud (their actions speaks). But, that day, my friends stood up for the girl, though they were strangers. That day, my friends chose to be the helping hand towards a stranger.

If you called yourself a Malaysian, better wake up and live like a malaysian. A true Malaysian is one that do not see colors, hospitable heart and willing to lend a helping hand anywhere. That's a Malaysian. 

Every blocks represents you and I.
Though we are diverse in cultures and languages, we must embrace the diversity to find unity among ourselves.
You and I are different.
It's in this diversity, we find unity!

No comments:

Post a Comment